Sharing Humanity invites people from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to come together to create safe and generative spaces – small Community Seed Pods – to share food, stories, and practices of embodiment and understanding that connect us to our shared humanity, and spark personal and social change from the ground up.
Host or Join a Seed Pod Event: 30 July – 6 August 2019
People around the world are invited to host a ‘Seed Pod’ event in their own local community, during the week of International Day of Friendship – 30th July 2019.
We start at the grassroots and reach across our wider communities, societies and the globe. Think of a seed that, with the right nourishment, turns into a giant banyan tree with deep roots and vast branches that provides shelter and sustenance for many. This is our vision.
These small grassroots events are the platform for:
- building community
- sharing stories and engaging in conversation around our shared humanity
- learning embodiment and self-care practices
- building awareness around yoga and social justice issues
- raising funds to support longer-term community yoga programs.
A Seed Pod might look like a 2.5 hour small community event of 6-10 people in a home, community center, library, park, other community space or online. Hosts are encouraged to bring together people with diverse lived experiences, where each person comes as an equal participant to share and learn from each other. You are welcome to follow our suggested guidelines or create your own event format.
What you will receive as a Seed Pod Host
- An amazing local and global community of people passionate about yoga, humanity and social change
- A comprehensive Resource Kit to support you in hosting your Seed Pod:
- Seed Pod guidelines and tips for hosting a successful event
- Awareness raising and fundraising guidelines and support
- Resources to support you as a host – education pack, suggested embodiment activities and recorded practices resources, tips for hosting successful conversations
- A free Facilitation Skills Webinar with Yoga for Humankind Director Mei Lai Swan
- A dedicated FB group for Seed Pod Hosts, for peer support and inspiration to help you create your Seed Pod, and to stay connected as an online global community
- Free access to our 30-day Online Embodiment and Self-Care program, with early access to resources to support you with Seed Pod ideas and activities (your Seed Pod participants will also receive free access to our 30-day program)
PAY IT FORWARD: JOIN OUR SEED POD FUNDRAISING CHALLENGE
As well as building community and introducing people to the power of yoga and embodiment, Seed Pods are also an opportunity to raise much-needed funds to support longer-term community yoga programs. Find out about our partners below.
You can join our Seed Pod Fundraising Challenge by seeking sponsorship from your family, friends and community. We’ll provide you the guidelines, resources and tips for fundraising to make it as easy as possible!
We want it to be achievable for you, so you can set your own fundraising target, with a suggested minimum of $200 (or equivalent in your own currency).
If needed, you can use up to $100 of your funds raised to help cover costs for your Seed Pod event (e.g. venue hire, additional food or drinks), and the balance will be donated to one of our community organisation partners that you nominate. You can visit their websites to find out more about the fantastic work they do: