OUR 200+HR YTTContemporary hatha, trauma-informed and community based yoga
200+hr Yoga Teacher Training – Melbourne 2019
October 2019 – April 2020
Abbotsford Convent, Melbourne
runs over 4 x 6-day modules – see full dates below
If you love yoga and have a desire for using it to transform and radically empower your own and others’ lives, this training is for you.
You will get the highest quality of a foundational 200hr yoga teacher training, plus additional hours, specialised training and certification in trauma-informed and community-based yoga teaching.
All enquiries welcome via firstname.lastname@example.org
Yoga for Humankind offered a 200HR yoga training that I would recommend to people looking for a foundational course that supports students to enquire deeper into Self, all that is yoga, heart purpose, and being a human. The course was full of integrity, nurturing and felt aligned with my values of teaching Hatha yoga in community spaces and with a trauma-informed approach while learning contemporary practices imbued with somatic principals. I feel so grateful to have taken part in this amazing course with incredible lead teachers Mei Lai Swan and Jo Buick ~ completely living their hearts in action.- Adriana, Australia
NEXT 30-DAY IMMERSIVE 200+HR TRAINING will be offered in Bali in July 2020. Please stay tuned – details coming soon!
ABOUT THE TRAINING
For the whole-hearted, not the faint-hearted.
This yoga will change your life as you know it.
We know that true change begins within. And to share the impacts of that change effectively also requires knowledge and skill.
So we have designed this foundational yoga teacher training to be an in-depth process of personal transformation, self-discovery and leadership training, whilst simultaneously providing the highest professional standards of contemporary knowledge and learning across yoga, somatics, science and community work.
By the end of the training you will know yourself on whole new levels, and be equipped with the foundational knowledge and skills to share hatha yoga with your loved ones, in yoga studios and with a range of community groups (eg. refugees, youth, prison populations, mental health consumers). And you will be ready and impassioned to take inspired action for yourself and with others.
WHO IS THIS TRAINING FOR?
This is a yoga teacher training designed specifically for those who are ready for depth, transformation, and authenticity, and who want to share the benefits and love of yoga with knowledge and skill.
By joining our training, you’ll also get to pay it forward: 25% of profits from our trainings goes directly to community based yoga programs around the world.
It is ideal for:
- committed students of yoga ready to take the next step, and with a desire to make a difference in the world and their own communities;
- community and health professionals looking to learn and integrate the practices of yoga and somatic-based movement skillfully into their work.
If you are not interested in ‘teaching’ yoga, but you feel drawn to the course and would love a deep and committed dive for your own practice, knowledge and transformation, you are very welcome to apply. We have also seen that participating in the ‘teaching’ aspects of the training is alone a rich practice for personal transformation and growth, even if sharing yoga publicly is not your ultimate goal.
Please note this is not a program for personal therapy.
Find out more about why this is not “just another 200 hour teacher training” and what we feel it really means to be a teacher.
YOU WILL RECEIVE EXPERT INSTRUCTION IN:
The foundations of yoga and yoga teaching:
- hatha, vinyasa and restorative/gentle asana
- pranayama, meditation, mantra
- anatomy and yogic energetic anatomy
- yoga philosophy (classical and tantra) and lifestyle
- teaching skills and methodology: cuing, sequencing, observing, assisting, modifications, voice and languaging
- ethics and business of yoga
Trauma-informed and community based yoga:
- Trauma-informed yoga and somatic movement practices
- Foundations in culturally responsive and community based practices for yoga teaching
- Foundations in understanding power, social justice, strengths-based and collaborative approaches
- Seva (selfless service and inspired action) in a contemporary and global community-based context
- Introduction to developing and delivering community based yoga programs
- Personal transformation and leadership skills
You will receive a foundational 200 hour Hatha Yoga TT certificate
a 30 hour Trauma-informed and Community-based Yoga certificate
registered with Yoga Alliance
DETAILS & REQUIREMENTS
All the practical things you’ll want to know
October 2019 – April 2020
This training will run as 4 x 6-day modules, with guided homework, practice teaching and online support in between modules.
Module 1: 3-8 October, 2019
Module 2: 5-10 December, 2019
Module 3: 6-11 February, 2020
Module 4: 9-14 April, 2020
*Please note, these dates are confirmed and will not vary.
Faculty for the Melbourne 200+hr YTT includes:
Lead teachers: Mei Lai Swan & Jo Buick
Guest teacher – Trauma-informed & Somatic Movement: Amber Gray (US)
Guest teacher – Philosophy: Andrew Mournehis
Guest teacher – Anatomy: Phoebe Cole
For full bios, please meet Our Teachers
We are thrilled to be hosting our training at Melbourne’s beautiful Abbotsford Convent in Richmond. With spacious training rooms, the Abbotsford Convent is set in beautiful gardens alongside the Yarra River, and has various options for lunch, coffee and snacks.
Please note this training is non-residential. For those who may be joining from interstate, we recommend Airbnb for local accommodation options.
COST & INCLUSIONS
$4750AU (deposit paid by 30 June 2019)
$4950AU (after 30 June 2019)
The course fee includes:
- tuition fees for the 200hr YTT certificate + 30hr Trauma-informed and Community-based Yoga certificate (total 205 contact + 25 non-contact hours) *A standard 200hr training is usually 180 contact + 20 non-contact hours
- comprehensive course manual + between-module guided homework, practice & online support
- an outstanding faculty of professional and experienced teachers and community leaders
- an inspired and passionate community of skilled yogis and changemakers
- 25% of profits dedicated to supporting community-based yoga programs in various locations around the world
*This training is registered with and well exceeds Yoga Alliance requirements
Transfer/payment fees are included in the course fee. Payment plans are available.
A non-refundable deposit of $500AU is required to secure your place. Final payment is due by 3 September 2019, 30 days prior to the training start date.
Full details including refund policy in the Online Application.
SCHOLARSHIP & EQUITY-BASED OPPORTUNITIES
In addition to committing 25% of program profits to community yoga programs, Yoga for Humankind is committed to supporting opportunities for participants with limited opportunities to access yoga training, to share the benefits of yoga within their own communities.
We offer two equity-based opportunities:
1. NEEDS-BASED TUITION ADJUSTMENT
We offer four tuition adjustments of $500 for eligible program applicants on low income (off the early bird or full rate, depending on when you apply). If you would like to apply, please tick the appropriate box in your application form, and we will send you the additional tuition adjustment form after we receive your program application.
The tuition adjustments will be awarded on the following dates. If you submit an application, it will be considered in the round for the closest upcoming date.
Round 1: 28 February 2019
Round 2: 30 April 2019
Round 3: 30 June 2019
Round 4: 31 August 2019
2. FULL COMMUNITY SCHOLARSHIPS
We have two full scholarship places available, with the intention to:
- support greater access, diversity and representation amongst under-represented groups in the yoga teaching world
- support people from diverse groups and life experiences to teach yoga within their own communities.
Your are welcome to apply if you:
- have yoga or movement experience
- identify with one or more under-represented or marginalised groups (e.g. culturally and linguistically diverse, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, LGBQTI, person with a disability, refugee or asylum seeking background, veteran, or other)
- are passionate about becoming a yoga teacher and sharing yoga within your community; and
- have limited ability to access or afford yoga training.
REQUIREMENTS & PRE-REQUISITES
To apply for this training, you will need:
- a minimum of 2 years regular yoga asana practice (for community and health professionals, please outline your experience in your application – we may make some allowances)
- a commitment to personal transformation, self-discovery and self-care
- a strong interest in community, social change and social justice
and you will need to be committed to:
- pre-course required reading (see Readings and Resources below)
- participation in a 6-week pre-training online Facebook group (including weekly tasks and discussion)
- full participation in the course
- some additional readings and tasks for the Certificate in Trauma-informed and Community-based Yoga
Further details will be given in the welcome pack provided at least two months prior to the training.
As you can see, this is a training for those who are passionate, dedicated and committed. We are here to shake up the status quo, inside and out – for real wellbeing, connection and freedom.
Each module runs for 6 days, from 8.30am – 6.30pm each day.
Sample daily schedule* is:
8.30-11am Morning practices (asana, mantra, pranayama, meditation)
3-4pm Afternoon break
4-6.30pm Lab/methodology/practicum + gentle movement practice
*May be subject to change.
The training will be limited to 26 participants.
READINGS AND RESOURCES
All the juicy stuff
Here’s a list of the books and resources you’ll need for the training and beyond – required and recommended. And this is just the beginning…
Let it get you excited!
We ask participants to purchase/borrow and at least familiarise yourself with the following key texts for the training. This will help you get the most out of the training. If you are unable to purchase all the required books due to financial or other constraints, please contact us to discuss.
Yoga, Body, Mind, Spirit – Donna Farhi
Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – Sri Swami Satchidananda
Bhagavad Gita – Stephen Mitchell
The Body Keeps The Score – Bessel Van der Kolk
Various articles/videos – will be emailed prior to training
*You will also receive a comprehensive course manual upon commencement.
Light on Life – BKS Iyengar (note this is not “Light on Yoga”)
Yoga Anatomy (2nd ed.) – Leslie Kaminoff and Amy Matthews
Overcoming Trauma Through Yoga – David Emerson
Yoga for Emotional Balance – Bo Forbes
Skill In Action – Michelle C. Johnson
Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness – David Treleaven
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED READINGS
Yoga and Spirituality
Your Body, Your Yoga – Bernie Clark
Meditation Made Easy – Lorin Roche
Radiance Sutras – Lorin Roche
Autobiography of a Yogi – Paramahansa Yogananda
Wake Up Now – Stephen Bodian
Shiva Sutras – Swami Lakshmanjoo
Meditation for the Love of It – Sally Kempton
Awakening Shakti – Sally Kempton
Trauma-informed, Inclusive Yoga & Social Justice
Trauma and Recovery – Judith Herman
Yoga for Chronic Pain – Kelly McGonigal
The Body Remembers – Babette Rothschild
Waking the Tiger – Peter Levine
In An Unspoken Voice – Peter Levine
Yoga Rising – Dianne Bondy
Pleasure Activism – adrienne maree brown
Yoga is Dead